August is for Authzed
Another month, another product update! This month included a few major user-facing changes such as live metrics on every permission system and guided tours to walk you through the dashboard and playground. Behind the scenes, we've been chugging along on the distributed systems that scale Authzed planet-wide! We also got a new coworker!
ICYMI last time: in addition to posting weekly blog posts, we're now officially posting monthly wrap-ups of events and new functionality we've added to Authzed. We're also giving everyone a little taste of our Slack's random channel and all of it's off-topic goodness.
- Evan Cordell has joined the team! We loved working with him back at CoreOS and now he's returning to his authorization roots, but instead of macaroons, this time he's embracing Zanzibar
- All users now have live latency metrics for each permission system in their dashboard
- We open sourced prom-authzed-proxy -- the proxy we use to allow our users to securely access our internal Prometheus stack
- Jimmy wrote about our philosophy on what it takes to be a Cloud-Native SaaS and how we plan to increase transparency and integrate with our users' SRE tooling
- The playground got a facelift, includes a guided tour for first-timers, and has the ability to deploy straight to production when you're logged in!
- Jake & Jimmy recorded a video of them modeling GitHub's permissions
- Java, Ruby, and Node found their way into the Protecting Your First App guide
- Speaking of client libraries, they now all have feature parity, stable releases in their respective package ecosystem, and consistent examples to help get you started
- Looking to build something awesome? We posted our first jobs listing for all you ambitious SREs out there
Entropy from #random
- We tried Facebook's new "metaverse", but it turns out it's just another way of tricking you into more meetings!
- I'm not one for conspiracies, but Pfizer did announce phase 2 of their Lyme disease vaccine trials right after the New Yorker published a popular writeup on the subject? This has got to be the vaccine conspiracy everyone's talking about!
- Julia Evans added a new blog post on confusing explanations -- not that we've ever written anything confusing, right?
- Go 1.17 shipped with a fairly substantial performance increase! We love it when we do nothing and our products just keep getting faster.
- Folks, remember that when shopping around the CNCF landscape, always remember to consume responsibly:
Cloud-native is fun pic.twitter.com/Q1gFKoGfaC— memenetes (@memenetes) August 5, 2021