As the days get shorter and the air crisper, we're stoked to bring you some warm and exciting product updates!
A few highlights:
- Two SpiceDB releases this month: v1.27 and v1.28
- Two new videos: Interpreting SpiceDB OpenTelemetry traces and SpiceDB Academy | Language Primer
- Updates to the zed CLI and SpiceDB operator
🥜 Evan Cordell discussed the highly relatable problem of getting Policy in your ReBAC and getting ReBAC in your Policy in his latest blog: Policy-Based Access Control (PBAC) vs Google Zanzibar: When You Should Use One or the Other
🔎 Victor shared SpiceDB’s handy-dandy tracing UX improvements in a short video: SpiceDB Tracing: How to interpret our OpenTelemetry traces
🎓 Jake taught the fundamentals of modeling permissions and schema building in the first-ever episode of SpiceDB Academy! SpiceDB Academy | Language Primer
SpiceDB v1.27 | Release Notes
- Enhanced traces: identify high-demand parts of your schema
- Over 50% latency and CPU usage reduction possible with new dispatch deduplication
- Observability improvements: Go runtime and Spanner performance metrics now available
- Improved Spanner performance with new watch-driven schema caching compatibility
- MySQL datastore migration adds a new index addressing inefficiencies in the
- Watch API Deprecated support for MySQL v5 (EOL)
- Special thanks to community contributor @bradengroom for fixing Issue 1217 - Run postgres datastore tests with pgbouncer
SpiceDB v1.28 | Release Notes
- Datastore deduplication improvements
- New "SpiceDB Repair" command will help folks running
pg_dump / pg_restoreon Postgres-based SpiceDBs
- Better error reporting on Watch API for CockroachDB-based SpiceDBs
SpiceDB-operator v1.12 | Release Notes
- You can now define the filepath for the CA certificate in the tls config, eliminating the need for additional processing when creating a secret that resides in a different namespace.
- Adds upgrade edges for SpiceDB 1.26 to the stable channel, which has been out for a while without any known regressions. There is a single-phase migration for postgres.
zed CLI v0.15.1 | Release Notes
- Restore and backup commands can take a long time, depending on the number of relationships. When trying to abort some instances of those commands, zed wouldn't react to Control+C because context cancelation wasn't being checked. With this change the operation will abort immediately⚡
In Discord, Yordis shared an easy and delicious method for making Cuban coffee in an imusa pot (you can also use a Moka or similar). Add two tablespoons of cane sugar in the bottom of the pot, add your coffee/espresso as normal and cook it like you normally would. It came out perfect!
A lively discussion in the Discord on mechanical keyboard suggestions:
The AuthZed team shared more breakfast cereal-related trivia:
- Apparently Oreo-Os have a new recipe since they launched
- Timing of cereal consumption varied greatly from breakfast to late at night and even in the afternoon.
- Golden raisins as a cereal topping were generally celebrated